- 1.5L pudding dish/basin, lightly brushed with Flora Buttery
- 12 Medium slices white bread crusts cut off
- 40 g Flora Buttery
- 1 vanilla pod or a few drops of vanilla essence
- grated nutmeg
- 800 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 175 g caster sugar, plus extra for the caramelised topping
- 25 g sultanas
- 25 g raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas mark 4. Spread the bread evenly with Flora Buttery.
- Split the vanilla pod and place in a saucepan with the cream and milk and bring to the boil. While it is heating, whisk together the egg yolks and castor sugar in a bowl.
- Allow the cream mix to cool a little, then strain it onto the egg yolks, stirring all the time. You now have the custard.
- Cut the bread into triangular quarters or halves, and arrange in the dish in three layers, sprinkling the fruit and a little grating of nutmeg between the two layers and leaving the top clear.
- Now pour over the warm custard, lightly pressing the bread to help it soak in, and leave it to stand for at least 20–30 minutes before cooking to ensure that the bread absorbs all the custard.
- The Flora Buttery pudding can be prepared to this stage several hours in advance and cooked when needed. Place the dish in a roasting tray three-quarters filled with warm water and bake for 20–30 minutes until the pudding begins to set. Don’t overcook it or the custard will scramble.
- Remove the pudding from the water bath, sprinkle it liberally with castor sugar and glaze under the grill on a medium heat or with a gas gun to a crunchy golden finish.
- When glazing, the sugar dissolves and caramelises, and you may find that the corners of the bread begin to burn. This helps the flavour, giving a bittersweet taste that mellows when it is eaten with the rich custard, which seeps out of the wonderful bread sponge when you cut into it. And if you’d like to be more extravagant, replace half the milk with whipping or double cream.
You may like: HOW TO STOP A HEART ATTACK IN JUST 60 SECONDS – IT’S VERY POPULAR INGREDIENT IN YOUR KITCHEN