- 1medium head of cabbage
- 6large celery ribs
- 1lb carrot
- 2(28 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice
- 1(46 ounce) can tomato juice(or V8)
- 6 -8beef bouillon cubes
- 1teaspoon citric acid (sour salt)
- 4(1 g) packets Sweet ‘n Low or 4 (1 g) packets another sweetener
- black pepper
- salt, if desired (optional)
- Cut up all the veggies, put everything in a very large pot, cover with water, and cook at least 3 hours, until everything is very soft.
- Taste for seasoning – judge sour and sweet separately to see weather to add more citric acid or sweetener. I usually do add plenty more of each, until it is delicious.
- Don’t even bother cutting the core out of the cabbage – it cooks down with everything else and will be delicious. Really.
- Measurements can be approximate. Feel free to adjust for what you like or have on hand. I know I always have a glass of the juice before pouring it into the pot ???? Speaking of the juice, I don’t remember it being part of the original recipe, but I always add it for tomatoey taste and body.
- Sometimes, my Nana added green peppers. Her recipe also mentioned to serve with “rice and veal balls”, although I don’t actually remember her doing this. What could be bad?.
- When I am not on a diet, I add brown sugar instead of the sweet-and-low.
- Oops – I Totally had to Estimate how many servings. But this does mostly fill my 10 quart pot, and then cook off a little, so I will est. 18 servings – your mileage will vary;-).