2/3 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups sugar
4 ounces german chocolate, melted
5 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups whole buttermilk
1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup half and half
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Garnish: sweetened flaked coconut , chopped pecans, Makes 1 10 inch Cake
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Generously grease fluted cake pan with coconut oil and sprinkle with flour.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl on medium high speed until fluffy.
- Then add the melted chocolate and mix well. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each one.
- Next add your vanilla and continue to mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture, then alternate with adding buttermilk, start with flour and end with flour mixture.
- Add the pecans and coconut, gently stir then pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cover with foil for the last 20 minutes to keep it from over browning.
- Let cake cool in the pan for at least 10-12 minutes then gently invert pan onto cake plate.
- While cake is cooling prepare the icing. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat, add brown sugar and half and half, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes or until mixture is smooth. Remove pan from the heat and pour into glass mixing bowl, then add the confectioners’ sugar to the mixture. Beat on low speed, slowly increasing to medium high speed until mixture is smooth, then add in the salt and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- After cake has cooled completely, drizzle with icing. Then sprinkle with coconut and pecans.