Heaven on earth cake, I soon discovered, is an icebox cake made with layers of cubed angel food cake, vanilla pudding with sour cream, cherry pie filling, whipped topping, and toasted almond slivers.
It’s so simple to make; you’ll be pleasantly surprised how amazingly delicious it turns out with hardly any effort. So easy in fact the hardest part of the recipe is waiting for it to set and chill
Tips on How to Make Cherry Angel Trifle
- The recipe calls for angel food cake but feel free to swap with pound cake, chocolate cake, vanilla sponge cake, brownies, crushed Oreos or sponge fingers for variety.
- For an extra kick of flavor, briefly soak the cake cubes in sherry or fortified wine.
- I used Cool Whip to cut down on prep time, but you can use whipped topping from scratch if you like. With an electric mixer, beat one cup of very cold heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- I usually use a 9 x 13 pan but if you want a thicker dessert, use a square 9 x 9 pan.
- Not a fan of cherry pie filling? Swap with strawberry or blueberry pie filling! This dessert is amazing all year round; try apple pie filling during the Fall months.
- Please click next page button for Ingredients & Instructions